Sunday, July 8, 2007

<>

you are a marvel. You are unique.
You may become a Shakespeare , a Michelangelo ,
a Beethaven . You have the capacity for anything .
-Pablo Casals

In college I had a thing for a thing for guys with accents. Some of my friends melted over guys who were athletic or musical or funny. My weakness was men who could say my name in a way I'd never heard before.

I ended up marrying a wonderful guy from Columbus, Ohio, but on the way to the altar I spent several romantic years with Juan, a poet from Madrid. I loved it when he used the flattering phrase Eres unamaravilla---"You are a marvel." Juan said it a lot. Maybe cellist Pablo Casals sis, too. Maybe many Spaniards do.

You are a marvel. You are amazing. You are unique. You are the only you in the whole wide world. You have the potential to do great things and to be happy--whether or not you feel this way right now.

No comments: